Prior to meeting with a family law attorney for your family law-related issues, you should consider gathering and preparing the following information:
DIVORCE, CHILD AND SPOUSAL SUPPORT ISSUES
- Prepare a listing of your assets and debts, including bank accounts, retirement accounts, mortgage obligations, and credit card debt.
- Gather and organize copies of any financial information regarding your assets, income, and debt, such as tax returns, pay stubs, W2s, bank statements, brokerage statements, retirement statements, and credit card statements.
- Be prepared to discuss your income, including any benefits received through your employment, such as medical insurance, employer contributions to retirement accounts, and bonuses.
- Prepare a list of your monthly expenses, including mortgage/rent, utilities, car payments, insurance, food and clothing expenses.
CHILD CUSTODY ISSUES
- Prepare a brief summary of each parent’s role as a caretaker of the children for your family law lawyer‘s reference. Include the following categories:
- Managing medical/dental/eye care, such as scheduling and taking children to appointments;
- Educational issues such as selection of classes, homework, teacher conferences, career advice;
- Extracurricular activities, such as selecting the activities and participating in them;
- Religious training and education;
- Transportation to school, activities and social events;
- Be prepared to discuss each parent’s work schedule and whether there is a need for child care.
To find out more about what to expect when meeting your family law lawyer for the first time, contact Astor Weiss Kaplan & Mandel, LLP today by visiting their website.